The study of Higher Mathematics develops logical reasoning, analysis, problem-solving skills and the ability to think in abstract ways, as well as offering opportunities for creativity.
It is a rich and stimulating subject with the capacity to engage and fascinate learners and has a wide applicability to science, engineering, technology, business, industry and not least to everyday life.
Mathematics is an ever expanding body of knowledge, skills, concepts and techniques essential in the efficient handling of information and the solution of problems.
The course comprises of three units:
• Trigonometric expansions and identities
• Trigonometric graphs
• Wave function
• Graphs of functions
• Composite and inverse functions
• Logs and exponentials
• Vectors & applications of vectors
• Polynomials and quadratic theory
• Solving trigonometric equations
• The Straight Line: including experimental data from logs
• The Circle
• Recurrence relations
• Applying differential calculus
• Areas under and between curves
To gain the overall award students must pass written assessments in all three units of the course and an external assessment.
The SQA external exam consists of 2 papers:
A prelim, which is of the same form as the SQA external exam, takes place under exam conditions.
Students may progress to Advanced Higher Mathematics or exit to higher or further education, using either the qualification as a general or specific entry requirement for mathematics, engineering, or science HNC/D or degree courses.
- Higher Maths Homework Booklet Oct 2016
- Higher Maths Unit 1 Supplementary Material Booklet
- Higher Maths Unit 2 Supplementary Material Booklet
- Higher Maths Unit 3 Supplementary Material Booklet
Pre October homework & solutions
- Composite Functions
- Composite Functions Fully worked solutions
- Straight Line
- The Wave Function Solutions
- Trigonometry Fully worked solutions
Homework Solutions (October onwards)