Department of Modern Languages
In Larkhall Academy pupils have the opportunity to study French until the end of S4. This is a continuation of the language that pupils will have learned in their Primary school. In S3 pupils have the opportunity to study Spanish. S6 pupils can also study Spanish. Courses are available at National 3, 4, 5 and Higher level.
The ability to understand and communicate in other languages is increasingly important in our society and in the global economy. Through their study of a foreign language pupils can:
- Improve their communication skills through the consistent development of the skills of listening, talking, reading and writing.
- Improve their literacy skills by comparing the structure of the foreign language with their own language.
- Develop their understanding of other cultures and international citizenship.
- Develop life skills that pupils will find useful in their future, for example: working with others, research skills, analytical skills, problem solving skills, and skills in presenting information.
Benefits of learning a foreign language:
- It can improve your job prospects in the global job market.
- More opportunities to travel and work abroad.
- Develop a better understanding of other cultures and gain insights into other ways of thinking.
- Boost your brain power.
- Improving your self-confidence.
Ms A. Anderson PT – French and German
Mrs I. Alexander- French and German
Ms. Boyd- DHT – French and Spanish
Miss T. Connor – French and Spanish
Ms S. Deery- French and Italian
Mrs E. Deveney – French and german
Ms P. Stillie – French
Broad General Education (BGE)
In S1-S3 pupils will have regular assessments in the four skills of Reading, Writing, Listening and Talking.
- Revision of key language from Primary
- The Francophone Project
- Sports and Leisure activities
- Home area
- Asking for directions
- Daily routine.
- Parts of the body and illnesses
- Learning about traditional French food and eating habits
- Health and Wellbeing
SQA Qualifciations at National 3, 4, 5 and Higher.
Pupils will further develop their language skills in the contexts of :
Pupils will improve their communication skills in the foreign language.
The Higher course will build on the skills you have already developed at National 5. You will develop new skills such as translation. You will gain a better understanding of the structure of the language.